background

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Re-purposing a box

I am giving my Granddaughter crafting supplies because at the age of 4, she is beginning to get crafty and likes to draw and make pictures. I decided I needed something cool for her to keep her stuff in, so this is what I came up with.


I decided to use the box that fundraising chocolates had come in and make her a craft box. It is sturdy and has a handle, but was not very pretty and as a princess, she likes things pretty!


I had some pretty pink and blue plaid material which I decided to decoupage onto the box. It also has gold lines through it, which I thought would really appeal to the princess in her.

I opened up the box and laid it out flat to cut out the material. I should have made a paper template first, but I decided I really needed to get this project done and so I didn't. The result is that when I went to decoupage the material it wasn't perfect, but as always, there are ways to hide imperfections...

add some BLING! I had picked up this bright pink ribbon that has silver sparkly circles on it. It was in the Christmas ribbon section at Michael's and I had purchased it for cards, but this is a great place to use it. I used my ATG gun to adhere it. I hope it is a strong enough adhesive. If not, my daughter will just have to get her glue gun out and re-attach it! And of course, I had to add some big pink gems.


FCCB's Challenge for this week was to create a gift or gift package and this box is acting as both. It is something that she can use, and it is holding all of the craft supplies that we are giving her. The Cricut cuts I chose included the large golden M from Plantin SchoolBook and the phrases are from the Solutions cartridge "Home Decor". I cut the M as large (can't remember if it was 5" or 4") as I could using the multi-cut feature as the gold chipboard was fairly heavy. The bright blue phrases were cut at 1 1/2" and 2".


I added some bling to the M and the dot over the "i" in Memories. I also added a silk flower with a large pearl gem in the center and voila the crafting box was finished. I hope she likes it. If my daughter is reading this blog, look away! Pretend you did not see this!

8 comments:

  1. Great idea. Never thought of decorating one of these boxes, but it turned out great. Thanks for playing along with us at FCCB this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great box. That is awesome. Thanks for joining us at FCCB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome idea! it turned out great! Thanks for joining the fun at FCCB

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool craft box! I'm sure your granddaughter will love it! Thanks for joining us at FCCB.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to repurpose the box. I'm sure your granddaughter will love it. Thanks for joining us at FCCB!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is perfect for you granddaughter, super cute!! It will be quite popular with her, little ones love to craft! Thanks for joining us at FCCB:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this idea. I'm sure your granddaughter will love it! Thanks for joining in the fun at FCCB!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unique idea! Thanks for playing along with us at FCCB!

    ReplyDelete